Academic Papers and Chapters
- Novak, James, David Burton and Timothy Crouch. 2019. “Aerodynamic Test Results of Bicycle Helmets in Different Configurations: Towards a Responsive Design.” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part P: Journal of Sports Engineering and Technology.
- Novak, James and Jennifer Loy. 2019. “A Pilot Study for Utilizing Additive Manufacturing and Responsive Rewards in Physical Activity Gamification.” Design for Health.
- Novak, James. 2019. “Re-educating the Educators: Collaborative 3D Printing Education.” In Interdisciplinary and International Perspectives on 3D Printing in Education, edited by Ieda M. Santos, Nagla Ali and Shaljan Areepattamannil, 28-49. Hershey, PA, USA: IGI Global.
- Novak, James. 2019. “Self-Directed Learning in the Age of Open Source, Open Hardware and 3D Printing.” In Ubiquitous Inclusive Learning in a Digital Era, edited by Ebba Ossiannilsson, 154-178. Hershey, PA, USA: IGI Global.
- Novak, James. 2018. “Responsive Design and 4D Products: Enhancing Human Experiences Through Ubiquitous Computing.” (PhD), Griffith University, Gold Coast, Australia.
- Novak, James, and Jennifer Loy. 2017. “Digital Technologies and 4D Customized Design: Challenging Conventions with Responsive Design.” In Handbook of Research on Human Development in the Digital Age, edited by Valerie C. Bryan, Ann T. Musgrove and Jillian R. Powers, 403-26. Hershey, PA, USA: IGI Global.
- Harvie, Daniel S, Joan Kelly, Hayden Buckman, Jonathan Chan, Grace Sutherland, Mark Catley, James Novak, Neil Tuttle, and Michele Sterling. 2017. “Tactile Acuity Testing at the Neck: A Comparison of Methods.” Musculoskeletal Science and Practice 32:23-30.
- Novak, James, and Jennifer Loy. 2016. “Recoding Product Design Education: Visual Coding for Human Machine Interfaces.” In DESTECH, 227-33. Deakin University, Geelong Australia: KnE Engineering. [open access]
- Novak, James. 2016. “Drawn To Customisation: The Machine As Artist.” ACM SIGCHI Designing Interactive Systems Conference, Brisbane, Australia.
- Novak, James, and Jennifer Loy. 2016. “Designers Don’t Text – They Visualise: Integrating Coding into the University Design Curriculum.” In Engineering Research Theme 3 Retreat, edited by Daniel A. James, Zia Javanbakht and Andreas Öchsner, 21-2. Gold Coast, Australia: Queensland Sports Technology Cluster. [open access]
- Novak, James. 2015. “A Study of Bicycle Frame Customisation Through the use of Additive Manufacturing Technology.” Presented at RAPID 2015. Long Beach, California: SME.
- Novak, James. 2015. “Drawing the Pen: From Physical to Digital and Back Again.” In Drawing International Brisbane. Brisbane, Australia: Griffith Centre for Creative Arts Research. [open access]
- Inside 3D Printing Sydney, 2018. “4D Printing and Products: Beyond 3D.”
- Design 4 Health, Melbourne 2017. “Responsive Tangible Rewards in Physical Activity Gamification.” [Conference proceedings available here]
- Inside 3D Printing Sydney, 2016. “Gamification of CAD: Engaging Consumers Into the Design of 3D Printable Products.”
- Australian Sports Technology Network QLD Event, Brisbane 2016. “Future Bicycle Helmet?” presentation and panelist.
- Wearable Tech in Sport Summit, Melbourne 2016. “Automated Adjustment of Bicycle Helmet Vents Based on Live Sensor Data.”
- Beyond 3D Printing: The Evolving Digital Landscape, Brisbane 2015. “A Study of Bicycle Frame Customisation Through the use of Additive Manufacturing Technology.”
- Design 4 Health, Melbourne 2017. “Metamorphosis: Rewarding Physical Activity.”
- Fuse Demo Night at the ACM SIGCHI Designing Interactive Systems Conference, Brisbane 2016. Click here for my paper “Drawn to Customisation: The Machine as Artist.“
- Exchange as part of Design Philadelphia 2015. “Dizygotic” on page 20-21
- Beyond 3D Printing: The Evolving Digital Landscape at The Edge, Brisbane 2015. “Dynaero”
- Griffith University’s ‘Red Zone‘ Visitors Centre, Gold Coast. “FIX3D” 3D printed bike on permanent display
- Making a Difference / A Difference in Making exhibition for Materialise. “FIX3D” 3D printed bike. Shown at the Red Dot Design Museum, Essen (Germany) September-October 2016, and Bozar, Brussels (Belgium) April-June 2015.
- Design and Manufacturing: 3D Printing for the Creative Industries at The Edge, Brisbane 2014. “FIX3D” 3D printed bike.
- Design in Flux as part of Design Philadelphia 2014. “FIX3D” 3D printed bike.
- Today’s Ways at 19 Karen Gallery 2014. “FIX3D” 3D printed bike.
- Webinar for SME 2015. “2015 Dick Aubin Award Winner: A Study of Bicycle Frame Customisation Through the use of Additive Manufacturing Technology”